A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:
- 1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.
- 2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked.
- 3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed.
- 4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations.
- 5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy.
- 6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others.
Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing