Biofeedback is one of the most effective tools available for stress management. Biofeedback allows you to see, feel or hear mind/body processes that we normally aren't consciously aware of or able to voluntarily control.
Do you want to relax quickly and deeply?
Do you want to gain control over your emotional responses?
Do you want to learn how to focus and relax at the same time?
- Alter consciousness
- Discover deep relaxation
- Master meditation
- Heighten awareness
What is biofeedback?
Biofeedback is a technique that trains people to improve their health by controlling certain bodily processes that normally happen involuntarily, such as heart rate, blood pressure, muscle tension, and skin temperature. Electrodes attached to your skin measure these processes and display them on a monitor. With help from a biofeedback therapist, you can learn to change your heart rate or blood pressure, for example. At first you use the monitor to see your progress, but eventually you will be able to achieve success without the monitor or electrodes. Biofeedback is an effective therapy for many conditions which are stress related.
How does biofeedback work?
Most people who benefit from biofeedback have conditions that are brought on or made worse by stress. For this reason, many scientists believe that relaxation is the key to successful biofeedback therapy. When your body is under chronic stress, internal processes like blood pressure, heart rate and muscle tension become overactive. Guided by a biofeedback therapist, you can learn to lower your blood pressure, heart rate and muscle tension through relaxation techniques like deep breathing, visualizations ,meditation and mental exercises. When you are successful, you see the results on the monitor, which encourages your efforts.
Children: Biofeedback can also be used effectively in children too. For example, EEG neurofeedback (especially when combined with cognitive therapy) has been reported to improve behavior in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD
Biofeedback will be useful for the following health problems along with reducing STRESS: Tension headache, Chronic pain, , High blood pressure as an adjunct, , Stress Management, Anger Management, Pre menstrual syndrome and Migraine, Tension headache, Anxiety, ADHD, Depression, Learning disabilities, Panic attacks, Addictions, Back pain, Chronic pain, Muscle spasms, etc.
In combination with virtual reality therapy it forms a potent tool in treating various conditions.
What happens during a biofeedback session?
In a normal biofeedback session, electrodes are attached to your skin. They send information to a small monitoring box that translates the measurements into a tone that varies in pitch, or a visual meter on a computer screen that shows lines moving across a grid. The biofeedback therapist then leads you in mental exercises. You can soon learn to identify the mental activities that will bring about the physical changes you want.
What are the risks, benefits and alternatives?
- Biofeedback is safe and has no known side effects.
- The technique is not painful.
- Results from the program are largely dependent upon your commitment and effort with the exercises you will be given to do at home.
Do I need to do anything before my appointment?
- There is no special preparation for this appointment.
- You can eat and drink normally before your appointment.
What should I expect at my first appointment?
- At your first appointment you will meet the specialist who will go through your previous test results.
- The specialist will ask you about your general health including medication, diet and routine lifestyle.
- The specialist will assess the muscles in your body using the biofeedback machine.
- From this initial assessment the specialist will discuss your individual treatment program with you.
- Your program can consist of exercises, diet and lifestyle changes.
- You will be given information about exercises to do at home.
- This appointment will last approximately 30 to 45 min.
Follow up appointments:
The biofeedback program will include several visits usually over a three month period. This can vary from patient to patient. Follow up appointments will last approximately 30-40 minutes. In order to obtain the best results you need to follow the agreed program. We can give you the information, exercises and advice but only you can make the difference. The exercise program is hard work and once learned should become part of your daily life.
Will I be able to go back to work?
Yes. After your appointment you will be able to continue your day as normal.
How many sessions will I need?
Each session generally lasts less than 1 hour. The number of sessions required depends on the condition being treated. Many people start to see results within 8 - 10 sessions. You will also be taught mental exercises and relaxation techniques that you can do at home for at least 25 minutes every day.
Where can I find the biofeedback clinic?
- Located at Manasvi Specialists,139/A, 10th Main Road, RMV Extension, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore-560080.
- You need to fix up an appointment earlier with the doctor